Activ Scrub – If your horse suffers from mud fever, here’s a product that not only helps treat the condition but helps prevent it too.
Activ Scrub from Robinson Animal Healthcare is an antibacterial scrub and cleansing wash. Effective in seconds, it is ideal for battling the harmful bacteria that thrive in wet, muddy conditions in the winter months and for keeping legs clean. Mild and gentle, Activ Scrub is perfect for removing scabs, dirt and contamination from the skin.
When washing legs, it is important to ensure that the legs are thoroughly dried to help prevent common winter skin conditions. Bandaging the legs using Veterinary Gamgee® will help to absorb any excess moisture and provide warmth and insulation. Please use biocides safely.
Activ Scrub retails at around £10, so it’s budget-friendly and offers horse owners a real solution to help keep their horse’s legs clean and free from unwanted problems.
- Check your horse’s legs daily for scabs and wounds
- Wash with a product such as activ scrub when needed or desired – always dry legs
- Minimise turnout during wet weather and add plenty of hay into bare fields to help prevent horse’s gathering at the gate for long periods
- Turnout boots for horses are practical as long as they are kept clean – buy a number of sets to alternate – wear a pair, wash a pair, dry a pair
- Suitable gravel around the gate area can help as long as it is suitable for hooves and the area well-drained. Large stones or bricks will damage hooves and soles
- Fields should be adequately drained, maintained and prepared for winter. Preparation is key to less mud and happier horses!
Work into your daily routine, or use during excessively wet conditions to help prevent mud fever and other skin infections OR use when you find injuries or scabs on the horse’s legs.
Always read the label and product information before use.
Robinson Animal Healthcare has a wide range of products for all your first aid requirements, including the market-leading Animalintex®, which is the only VMD licensed multi-layered absorbent poultice available in the UK and the legendary Veterinary Gamgee®.