After learning of EquiPod, a non-invasive app-controlled bioelectric therapy device for horses, we got in touch with NuroKor to find out more about what the innovative product does and how it works.
Horse owners and equestrians everywhere know the impact of treating an injured horse. It can take time (and money) for a horse to return to full fitness and there are few, if any, targeted options available to accelerate that return. Unsurprisingly, injuries are one of the most common causes for the end of an equine athlete’s career, and the cost of treatment can easily start or reach into the thousands.
EquiPod uses specific formulations of microcurrent to address a range of health and well-being issues. This non-invasive treatment targets joints and soft tissues and can provide relief from chronic and acute pain, optimise recovery from injury and exercise, support wound healing, and help maintain overall wellbeing.
EquiPod is easy to use and can be controlled either with or without its app, although using the app grants several other functions, including the ability to record treatment histories for each horse and treat multiple horses simultaneously.
Treatments can target different areas of the horse’s body and can be conveniently delivered through wearable accessories: KorBand for the back and KorWrap for the legs. Adhesive conductive pads can be used for more specific areas, such as tendons, ligaments, joints, wounds and more.
The general steps for treatment are as follows.
- Select the accessory most suitable for the application and need.
- Make sure that the treatment area is clean and dry.
- Apply a small amount of conductive gel to the area you will place the pads or accessories. Gently work this into the horse’s coat in a circular motion until it reaches the skin.
- Apply a small amount of gel to the conductive areas of the accessories or to the centre of the adhesive pads if using those.
- Secure the adhesive pads or accessory to the treatment area. For the accessories, adjust the velcro straps so that they are not too tight.
- If using the adhesive pads, once positioned connect them to the treatment lead wire.
- Connect the EquiPod device to the lead wire from the accessory or adhesive pads.
- Turn the EquiPod on and select one of three treatment modes – Repair & Recovery, Pain Management, Maintenance & Wellbeing – either using the EquiPod mobile app or manually.
- Once the treatment is finished, remove the device and wash away any remaining gel.
The treatments will end automatically after the set time (the default is 60 minutes), with a helpful notification to let you know. The KorBand and KorWrap each have a little pocket for the EquiPod, so you can safely tuck it away once you’ve started the programme. Even if you are using the adhesive pads to deliver the treatment, the KorBand or KorWrap can securely hold the device in place.
EquiPod can be used as a standalone treatment for minor ailments, to supplement medications and as an adjunct therapeutic to support veterinary care and interventions. As a non-invasive, drug-free treatment, it makes an ideal starting point before moving on to more invasive options.
Precisely how much to use EquiPod will vary depending on the horse’s needs. However, there are some general recommendations for each treatment programme.
- Repair & Recovery – After an injury, 1 hour per day until fully recovered. After a competition or for training, 1 hour on the same day and the following 2 days.
- Pain Management – Will vary depending on the injury. Acute injuries may benefit from 30-60 minute treatments daily. Chronic pain may require less frequent treatments but over a longer time period.
- Maintenance & Wellbeing – Use as required, although older, competition or working horses will benefit most from regular treatments.
How quickly will the device have an effect?
EquiPod is designed to support your horse’s physical wellbeing – ranging from pain management to optimising recovery and, in turn, performance. As with everything health related, progress depends on many variables: location of injury, severity, age of the horse, etc.
With that said, incorporating EquiPod into the recovery and rehabilitation routine will start making a difference from the first day of use and will have notable benefits within the first few weeks, and chronic or acute pain is usually noticeably reduced within the first hour of treatment.
Where to buy
EquiPod is now available worldwide through a range of international and local distributors.
If you’re in the UK or internationally but not covered by one of the below distributors, EquiPod can be bought from the EquiPod website for £799.00.
In the USA, myEUSA sells the complete EquiPod kit for $1028.00.
In Germany, Ströh sells the EquiPod starter kit for €949.00.
In Austria, EquiPod is available through KWS Pferdesport for €989.00.
EquiPod will also soon be coming to local distributors in Denmark, Sweden and Holland.
Founded in 2018, NuroKor is a leading electroceutical company developing bioelectronic technologies. NuroKor develops and formulates programmable bioelectronic software for clinical and therapeutic applications, in a range of easy to use, wearable devices. It provides the highest-quality products, delivering personalised pain relief and recovery support and rehabilitation to patients.