Leading Ladies Line Up for Tokyo 2020 Selection
Eventing nominated entries for Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games announced
British Equestrian and the British Eventing Selectors have announced the horse and rider combinations in the line up for selection to compete at the long awaited Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
The nominations will be submitted to the Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI) before being presented to the British Olympic Association for selection to the Games.
Among those nominated are leading ladies riders’ Rosalind Canter, Laura Collett, Pippa Funnell, Kitty King and Piggy March. Selection decisions are subject to the athlete and horse maintaining fitness and performance, and this list may be amended at any point up to 21 June 2021. The selected squad of four combinations to travel to Tokyo, plus reserves, will be announced on 28 June 2021.
Nominated entries, listed in alphabetical order by athlete surname:
1. Rosalind Canter (35) based in Hallington, Lincolnshire, with Caroline Moore and her own Allstar B (bay, gelding, 16yrs, 17hh, Ephebe For Ever x Erkstein, Breeder: FAJ Van der Burg NED)
2. Laura Collett (31) based in Salperton, Gloucestershire, with Karen Bartlett, Keith Scott and her own London 52 (bay, gelding, 12yrs, 16.3hh, Landos x Quinar, Breeder: Ocke Riewerts GER)
3. Pippa Funnell (52) based in Dorking, Surrey, with Marek Sebestak and her own Majas Hope (bay, gelding, 14yrs, 16.1hh, Porter Rhodes x Flagmount King, Breeder: Jack Murphy IRL)
4, Kitty King (38) based in Chippenham, Wiltshire, with Diana Bown, Sally Eyre, Samantha Wilson and Sally Lloyd-Baker’s Vendredi Biats (grey, gelding, 12yrs, 16.2hh, Winningmood x Camelia de Ruelles, Breeder: Phillipe Brivois FRA)
5. Piggy March (40) based in Maidwell, Northamptonshire, with John and Chloe Perry and Alison Swinburn’s Brookfield Inocent (bay, gelding, 12yrs, 16.3hh, Inocent x Kings Servant, Breeder: John Mulvey IRL)
6. Tom McEwen (30) based in Stroud, Gloucestershire, with Fred and Penny Barker, Jane Inns and Ali McEwen’s Toledo de Kerser (bay, gelding, 14yrs, 16.1hh, Diamant de Semilly x Papillon Rouge, Breeder: Kerstin Drevet FRA)
7. Harry Meade (37) based in West Littleton, Wiltshire, with Mandy Gray and his own Superstition (bay, gelding, 12yrs, 16.1hh, s. Satisfaction FRH, Breeder: Eva Meier GBR)
8. Oliver Townend (38) based in Ellesmere, Shropshire, with Karyn Schuter, Angela Hislop and Val Ryan’s Ballaghmor Class (grey, gelding, 14yo, 16.2hh, s. Courage II, Breeder: Noel Hicky IRL)
9. Nicola Wilson (44) based in Northallerton, North Yorkshire, with James and Jo Lambert’s Bulana (black, mare, 15yrs, 16.3hh, Tygo x Furore, Breeder: S van Dellen NED)
Reserve nominated entries, listed in alphabetical order by athlete surname:
1. Sarah Bullimore (48) based in Keysoe, Bedfordshire, with the Kew Jumping Syndicate, Brett Bullimore and her own Corouet (chestnut, gelding, 10yrs, 15.2hh, Balou du Rouet x Lovis Corinth, Breeder: Sarah Bullimore GBR)
2. Ben Hobday (33) based in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, with Jane Chamber’s and his own Shadow Man (chestnut, gelding, 11yrs, 17hh, Fidjy of Colors x Winningmood van de Arenberg, BEL)
And subject to successfully completing a confirmation event,
3. Oliver Townend (38) based in Ellesmere, Shropshire, with Angela Hislop’s Cooley Master Class (bay, gelding, 16yrs, 16.2hh, Ramiro B x Master Imp, Breeder: John Hagan IRL)
Nominated entries for jumping and dressage combinations will be announced on or around 28 May and 18 June respectively. Nominated entries for the para dressage squad for the Paralympics in Tokyo will be published on or around 14 June.
Feature image: Pippa Funnell collecting the Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials Trophy. Image credit Mike Bain
You may also like to read