In the countdown to the Liverpool International Horse Show we talk to twice Grand Prix winner Billy Twomey about what makes the show so special and find out 10 fascinating facts about this talented Irish rider.
Fascinating Facts About Billy Twomey
1. Billy Twomey has been crowned the Liverpool International Grand Prix Champion for two year’s running and is always a busy competitor across the International CSI 4* Show jumping
Says Billy: “The show is just magic, well organised, has great prize money and an electric atmosphere. It is also great to compete in England as my wife and children always get to come along as well so we can spend time together. The crowd really get behind you and Grand Prix night which this year is New Year’s Eve is always very special and exciting.”
2. Well known for being based with the legendary Michael Whitaker in his early days he still describes those years as a ‘dream’ job at the time when riding as a stable jockey for the British hero.
3. Billy was immersed in horses from a young age as his mother and aunt ran a riding school near Cork
4. Billy married his long term partner Joanne in 2007, and later that year Lily, their first child was born, later joined by Evie, George and Alice.
5. In 2008 Billy and his wife Joanne set up their own base near Nottingham and they are rightly proud of the fantastic facilities.
6. Billy is a former winner of the 128cm Championship at Royal Dublin Horse Show on a pony that had previously given him a scare when bolting with him at their first show.
7. For a time Billy considered a career as a jockey when he took to riding work on the beach for his uncle. But after a taste of show jumping success he says there was no turning back.
8. Billy’s winning ride in the Grand Prix at Liverpool International Horse Show in both 2015 and 2016 was Diaghilev – well known for his turn of foot and speed in jump-offs. Says Billy: “None of the classes are a giveaway at the show and I think it really helps that the audience is so knowledgeable and understand the sport. No doubt this year’s Hope Valley Saddlery Grand Prix will be as exciting as ever.”
9. On the first day of the 2016 show, Billy was also in the winner’s enclosure with the grey, Ardcolum Duke. Said Billy at the time: “It was nice to get off to a winning start. He is an amazing horse, very consistent wherever he competes. I really chanced it at the last fence, and he jumped it well.”
Adds Billy: “I have had a really good year with some top results and Liverpool International will be a brilliant way to round off 2017. New Year’s Eve really is going to be spectacular.”
This year’s Liverpool International Horse Show will see a host of leading names in action from December 29 to 31, at The Echo Arena on Liverpool’s iconic waterfront.
For further information visit www.liverpoolhorseshow.com